Sunday, April 24, 2011

Paper Piecing Per Phindy's Place

I couldn't help it with the title. This challenge just called for some alliteration in the title of my blog. I know I'm a bit strange like that.LOL At any rate, this week over at the Phindy's Place Challenge Blog there's a celebration going on. It's the One Year Birthday of the Phindy's Place Challenge Blog. There's a DT Blog Hop going on over there. If you play along, there's a chance of you winning a $10 coupon from the Phindy's Place Store. That makes 3 prizes up for grabs including the regular challenge prizes, one for random entry and one for the Pick of the Week. How can you not play along? Head over to the Hop and join the fun. You don't want to miss the fantastic cards the DT has put together either.


This week the challenge is to create a project using paper piecing. I hadn't done much of this until I became acquainted with PCP Phriend Katie. She taught me all I know about paper piecing, and I figure if she could do it holding a baby, it should be within my skill set.

I have been wanting to use this image ever since it fell in my cart. Appropriately enough, it's called "Just Hanging Around" and is one of Phindy's Summer Cuties. I can remember hanging on the side bar of the swing set like this, and once I even fell from the top of a tree(I was a full fledged tomboy), but caught myself like this on one of the lower limbs(thank goodness). I went with camouflage for his overalls, as I have a 4 1/2 year old grandson that only wants to dress like a cowboy or a hunter. Needless to say, he has lots of camouflage clothing.

The paper is all from a free kit from Summer Driggs called Courage. The brown paper in the kit was even perfect for paper piecing the tree. I finished it off with a few branchs using my Marthat Stewart branch punch.

If you've ever hung upside down, like our little friend here, you know that the world takes on a completely different perspective. I created the word art in Photoshop with that in mind. It's a little hard to read in this picture, so here's a close up of it. If the click and enlarge feature works(for some reason it's intermittent with blogger and me), you're welcome to it.
I've got another card planned, so I'm off to have some more Phindy Phun. Thanks for stopping by.

10 comments:

  1. Hi Shirley. Fabulous card! Those camouflage shorts are just so perfect for this image and the sentiment you have created is brilliant. Great paper choice too. Thanks for joining us at Phindy's Place.
    Tine :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. You sure did a great job on that tree. I am really glad you caught yourself on the tree limb. Would hate for your sweet head to be hurt.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Shirley, this is a great job of pp and coloring. The sentiment is perfect and so clever for this image. Wonderful work!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Wonderful job! I’m so glad you got a chance to play with us at Phindy’s Place this week!
    Hugs,
    Dorcas
    Ps) if you haven’t already done so, you might want to sign up for my “no strings attached” blog candy. (top of sidebar), open til May 13.

    ReplyDelete
  5. What a clever sentiment Shirley! Love the camo dungarees, this is a great masculine card:) Thank you for joining us and taking the Phindy’s Place Challenge, do hope you’ll join us again this Friday!
    Hugs
    Anne

    ReplyDelete
  6. Oh...I love it! Great DP and I love his camo overalls. That sentiment is soooo fitting for this image. ~jeni :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. The camo outfit is darling (I can never resist camo shorts and pants for my boys). Beautifully pieced and colored, and the senti is so clever, too. Glad you joined us at Phindy's Place this week.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Super cute - love his camo overalls! Excellent job! Cheers, S.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Well, you know I love coming to Tazmania---an online bff and remarkable talent! Such a cutie, Shirley!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Another cutie! Love the paperpiecing!

    Hugs,
    Larissa

    ReplyDelete